Wednesday, January 9, 2008

my retro-bott











A year or so ago I bought a "campagnolo bicycle" from a woman in north raleigh, she had advertised it on craigslist. It wasn't a campagnolo bike, but it did have all campy parts. The rear derailleur is patent dated 1973. I never could determine the make of the frame. Since it was too large for me, and seemed to have internal rust issues, I traded it for a mid 80s ciocc frame that fit me. Since the paint was kinda flakey, I had it powdercoated, which looked great but revealed some metal pitting under the top tube. So I bailed on that frame (sold it on craigslist). All this time I slowly cleaned up all the campy parts. I finally won another mid 80s frame on ebay, a bottecchia. Rather than build up wheels using the suspect drilled out campy rear hub, I bought a complete used (early 90s?) campy chorus wheelset off craigslist, and to make the whole thing work, got a campy veloce bottom bracket at cycle logic. Finally built it up and now run it as an alternate urban bike (opposite my rush hour pro)










No comments: